Welcome to my blog! Here you'll find many samples of my finished art, conceptual work, unpublished material, and other miscellaneous jobs. You can find a complete list of my published books at this link.

I currently have signed copies of THE GREAT MONTEFIACO, WHACKO THE CHOOK, THE PUMPKIN EATER FROM PONDICHERRY, and THE SHIKKER COLA COWS available for purchase. For more info, please contact me at whackothechook@internode.on.net


Thursday, May 27, 2010

JACK AND THE SKYHOOK

The next book featuring interstellar cadet 'Jack', written by Damien Broderick.
 I really liked this story, it's a clever retelling of Jack & The Beanstalk. I had fun reading it, though Damien's texts can be a little bit intimidating for an illustrator. He gets quite technical in his descriptions of things, so sometimes it's often hard to interpret exactly what he's got in mind. And he does have specific ideas in his head, that's clear in his writing.
I'm first to admit I'm not very good at drawing mechanical objects, or man made things. I struggle with it, and I often need a lot of reference material. Organic looking things are my specialty. Here's a combination of the two, Cyber Organic Worker, otherwise known as a C.O.W:
Initially my design of the COW was far more alien looking. I thought the name itself, and an udder, was sufficient in making the 'cow' reference work, but the author and publisher thought it should more resemble a real cow. I met them half way by adding some horns and a snout.
I used a bolder, solid black line for these drawings, as opposed to biro in the first book. I used a combination of nib and ink (black and white), cheapo black pens, and even letratone when I felt lazy...
I prefer using a coated paper for this type of line work. Back then I used a cheap cardboard which was coated on one side. These days I use an illustration board, or bristol paper.
I love designing alien creatures. These are the 'Bargleplods', respresenting the giant/s from Jack & The Beanstalk. Often I conjure an image in my head from the name alone — there's things in a name which suggest to me certain physical characteristics. 'Plod' suggests something slow and fat, and 'Bargle' sounds ugly and menacing. I think the only descriptions given in the text was that they had hair growing from their ears, and barnacles on their firsts...
The publisher thought the Bargleplods were too scary, but I attested that youngs boys would not be easily frightened by something like this. I grew up loving monsters and all things ugly, way uglier and scarier than this.


I did the jacket art with oils. This is the original...
I wasn't really happy with how this looked, it was a bit dull, so I scanned it and tweaked it in photoshop...
... I made the background darker to bring the foreground out more, enhanced the reds, and brightened the sun. And if you look at the final cover design (up top) you'll see a lense flare! Yes, a damn lense flare! Those of you artists who know me know how much I have an aversion to photoshop artists who continually add lense flares to everything! So I'm a proven hypocrite here! But I can confidently say this is the only lense flare I've ever used, and I will never do it again, I promise...

This is usually where I draw the line with photoshop. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to illustration. I have a preference to hands on art, I enjoy it far more and find the end product way more satisfying. I've rarely, if ever done anything from scratch on the computer. I've only ever used it to tweak existing art, and create rough layouts. I looooathe drawing with a wacom tablet, I hate it! My hat goes off to those who have mastered it.
Contact me (whackothechook@internode.on.net) if you want a copy of this book. I have a very limited number left...

No comments:

Post a Comment