Welcome to my blog! Here you'll find many samples of my finished art, conceptual work, unpublished material, and other miscellaneous jobs. You can find a complete list of my published books at this link.

I currently have signed copies of THE GREAT MONTEFIACO, WHACKO THE CHOOK, THE PUMPKIN EATER FROM PONDICHERRY, and THE SHIKKER COLA COWS available for purchase. For more info, please contact me at whackothechook@internode.on.net


Thursday, August 26, 2010

Toilet Humour

Today I worked on one of the more unusual commissions I sometimes get asked to do.

A friend, and avid collector of original artwork and cartoon memorabilia, had two panels on his toilet door he wanted me to fill.
Thank god the door swung outwards! I didn't fancy a day sitting on the can to paint!

I was free to come up with whatever I wanted, which is sometimes tougher than if I was given some kind of guideline. I could have done something completely random, but typically these sorts of pictures just end up looking grotesque, and I figure most people wouldn't want to look at something too grotesque whilst taking a dump. So I decided on something a tad conservative, something 'classic', though with my own spin on it...

The top panel is titled 'Fowl With A Pearl Egg Ring' (based on 'Vermeer's Girl With A Pearl Earring', obviously), and the bottom panel is 'Son Of Whacko' (Magritte's 'Son Of Man'). Both these pictures are not entirely new, I've had these floating about for a few years. I did semi-photoshopped versions of them a few years back when I was working on Whacko The Chook with Mark Svendsen:

They were done merely for my own and Mark's amusement. But this commission was a good excuse to do proper painted versions of them.

I got these done in one day, I didn't think I would. I intend going back to add a varnish over the top, and when I do I'll get better photos of them using a better camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment